Saturday, January 18, 2014

Hypertufa Obsession













Tufa Obsession
Since last week I have spent an obsessively long time attempting to perfect my Hypertufa plant pot mix.  I started off by making the sample pots from just peat, cement and pearlite. All seemed well but when the dried out I found they were lightweight but also too fragile for any real use. They would be good for planting into the ground complete with a young plant but that’s not what I am looking for, I want a pot that can stand up to the rigors of everyday use.  

So it was time to roll my sleeves up and play with different types of mixes. I used less peat, more cement and also added some sand. One review I read about making tufa commented that the best way to get a strong plant pot was to not use peat!  To me that defeated the object of producing tufa pots but I did do one or two without it.  The results were strong but did look like miniature concrete council road bollards, again, not what I was looking for.


One to One
The tunnel is now full of pots of various sizes and consistencies. I am having a bit more success with a 1x1x1x1 mix of sand, peat, pearlite and cement but my biggest problem was getting the set pots out of the molds. I started off by filling a larger pot and then pushing a smaller pot into this to make the recess. All seemed well until the mix set – the pots are stuck in!  The only ones I could get out were the plastic pots as they have a bit of flexibility but not the aesthetic values of the terracotta pots I am also using. 


I therefore had to think of a way to keep the shape of the terracotta pots but have the flexibility of the plastic ones. 



My solution is this. I got some very large pots and filled them with expandable foam then placed a terracotta pot inside this and let it dry.  The resulting hard mold is light and flexible. For good measure I have also made some molds out of sections of cut drainpipe with slits in them fastended by cable ties. These can be pulled open when the mix has set.
It’s still early days with the new methods but I am optimistic I will 
have a product that will look good on the dining table as well as in the garden. Again, I’ll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wonder would using cling film, paper, fabric or hessian help with releasing from mould. Texture could be interesting..

Gardening Ireland said...

Hi. They do help! I found the tufa was stuck in the pots otherwise and I had to break the original mould to get them out..not ideal! The textures all differ too..

More stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails